Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Unicoi Gap

My journey to the start of the trail, included a stop in Virginia where Tailgate and I had the chance to visit old friends. We stopped at Twin Oaks for a brief visit and then spent a couple of days with Alec ("Vachon" AT '08) and his wife Mary Lynn. They've become good friends over the last few years since my last trek. Mary Lynn fed us a paella full of jumbo shrimp, mussels, clams, sausage, and a leg of fried chicken. I'm certain that I'll be thinking about that dish until Maine.

On Tuesday, it was off to the train station for me. I endured the 9 hour ride and was picked up by Willie who is also known as Nature Boy. He and Stacy work at Hiker Hostel which is owned by Josh and Leigh who thru-hiked in 2000. I've stayed at this hostel before and it continues to be one of the best on the trail. So comfy and so CLEAN. Too bad most people aren't yet dirty enough to appreciate it when they arrive.

Since I've skipped the Approach Trail in the past, I decided to tack it on this time. This was despite the copious amount of advice that I received from several men at the hostel who assumed this was my first Rodeo.

Off I went up the first 8.8 miles that don't even count, and even though there are 600 steps up to the falls, I just don't know what all the fuss is about. The terrain is no where near as demanding as everyone would have had me believe  over the years. I went an additional 2.8 and tented at Stover Creek Shelter that night. That snowy night. It was pretty cold, but it might not have been so bad if I didn't have to pee three times that night. I tried to hold it in but by the third time, I ended up stumbling out in my socks. Icy socks...so nice.

Next day, I had planned to hike to Gooch Mt. Shelter but it didn't seem far enough. I decided to go for Woody Gap and because I didn't want to camp alone at a road, I called Hiker Hostel to book a bunk. This meant I had to get to the gap by 5pm. Unfortunately, I forgot how tough this section can be and I really had to hustle. Luckily, it was a reasonably nice day and I cruised along smoothly for most of it. I met quite a few hikers throughout the day. The most memorable being a Georgian dressed in head-to-toe camouflage with at least a few racist tattoos. Now don't ya'll worry, he assured me I didn't have to worry about that while he slowly grinned at me with what I can only describe as pre World War 2, British teeth. This encounter encouraged me quickly down that trail. I made it to the shuttle with 9 whole minutes to spare and I was beat!

Next day, I camped at Swaim Gap (not far past Neels Gap). It was there I met Larry and Kurt who are hammock-hanging section hikers. They really brightened my evening and reminded me of one of the greatest gifts of a long hike which is meeting people who renew your faith in humanity.

On the fourth day, I experienced the dramatic ups and downs that I've grown so used to on the AT. The start of the day brought some great trail magic from Skidmark (GAME10) and Weasel (AT'10) who set up a sweet little hiker feed at Hogpen Gap. There were burgers and everything else a a hungry hiker might want. When I left the gap, I started to feel pain in my hip flexor. I took a break at Low Gap Shelter. I probably should have stayed there but it was only 2:30pm. I kept on but I was really feeling it. When Rocket Rick and Firefly passed me, I decided to camp with them. These two are marathon runners in their mid fifties.They didn't know each other before the hike but they move at the same quick pace and have a lot in common. I was grateful to run into them. Firefly showed me some stretches to help with the strain. We camped at Red Clay Gap and they were just the folks I needed to run into that night.

In the morning, I felt refreshed for about 15 minutes and then the pain kicked in again. I decided to take a day off at Unicoi Gap and head to Hiawassee. I think I may be pushing it a little too hard and I plan to cut back the miles a little bit.

That's all I got for now. I'll try to update at the NOC but I'm not sure about the computer situation there. You'll be hearing from me ;)

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your hike Cayenne/Aubby... Keep your head up you will be in done before you know it!

    Well wishes from everyone in pittsburgh!

    ~MikeBarger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Cayenne. It was great meeting you on the trail! You really made for a lively evening of conversation. I think that Larry and I were about out of things to say, and the dog wasn't contributing much at all.

    I'm definitely going to be monitoring your progress. Eventually I'm planning to take Roger up to Pittsburgh to show him around my old hometown, and we'll be sure to get in touch when we do.

    Take care, hike safe, and above all...avoid scary rednecks with racist tattoos!

    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barger...thx man. @Kurt, I would love to hang out with you again. Thanks for letting me crash your campsite.

    ReplyDelete