Monday, July 11, 2011

Manchester Center, VT

After leaving Salisbury, we wanted to make sure we camped on the Massachusetts side that night. Connecticut forbids campfires, so we were looking forward to having a fire again. Grandpa, the older gent of our crew, was really excited as he likes a fire every night. Unfortunately, our campsite was not fire friendly, but at least we had another state down.

The next day was filled with beautiful views. Parts of the AT in Mass are really quite pretty. Race Mountain offers a half mile walk on an open and scenic rock ledge. That night we camped at a little place called Dolls and Dwellings where they sell interesting tchotchkes. Bum Knee, Darvey, Mean Gene, and I walked down the street from there to a BBQ joint where we tore up some grass fed burgers and I had fried kale chips. Oh yes, fried kale chips...but more on the hike.

It poured like crazy on the next day. We hiked for about 8 miles before we all decided to bounce on down to a hostel for the evening. Ray Jardine says that he can easily hike all day in the rain, and I want to be like him. I really do. But hiking in the rain sucks, no matter how ya look at it.

There was no sleeping in at this hostel. At 7:53am, the caretaker came in and asked for the pillow case I was sleeping on. Time to go. What we thought would be a leisurely exit turned kind of rapid. As we were walking the mile back to the trail, a man appeared next to his trampoline in front of his house. He said, "Enjoy your hike!" I said, "Can I jump on your trampoline?" Then he replied, "Yeah, and come in quick and I'll make you breakfast." No joke. The life of a thru-hiker. Let's just say that our mileage was reduced on this particular afternoon. We made it to Shaker Campsite that night.

We hiked to October Mountain Shelter the next day. Unfortunately, our spacing didn't set us up for Upper Goose Pond which is a nice cabin with bunks and a lake to canoe on. We did stop there. Grandpa was pulled in by the promise of coffee and pancakes in the morning, but the rest of us pushed on. That night, we met Newt, our first Southbounder, and she's a woman :)

We hiked into Dalton the next day where we asked about the Birdcage at the Shell Station and a man named Rob Bird drove over and piled us into his minivan. At his house/hostel, we took showers while Rob did our laundry and then drove us to the buffet and store. Hooray for stealth hostels.

Rob slackpacked us from Route 2 the next day, and we were all very happy to do those 23 miles over Greylock without our heavy packs. It had been so long since I slacked that I felt light as a feather and made great time even though we went up the harder way. Also, on this day, I passed the point of Cheshire where I got off last time.

We weren't able to get back on trail until late afternoon on the next day, but we were determined to make it past the state line and get to Vermont AND we did. Once we reached the border, the mud immediately appeared. This state is gorgeous but muddy, and they've had alot of rain, so my calves are a mess. But I'm in Vermont, ya'll. Yes.

Day 2 in VT, brought a little pain. Even though, I ran into Bennington to get a maildrop, I still did 23.3 miles. The terrain was fairly easy if you can deal with the mud, and I did ok with this part. I did, however, get my shoe stuck on a log which brought me straight down on the trail. I have never fallen like this. It was super scary, and I was very lucky that nothing was in the way of my face or other important places.

I spent much of the next day, waiting for the guys I've been hiking with. I had pulled ahead of them yesterday and wanted to reunite, but they were too far behind. I camped at Spruce Peak Shelter right before Manchester Center, VT, with some other friends last night.

Here I am in Vermont. I have never seen any of this part of the trail before. Bring it.

1 comment:

  1. Okay okay okay.

    Memory Lane:

    Shaker Campsite - a platform on the side of some flat walkin', yes? We had to wear all our rain gear and tie bandanas around our faces and build a fire to smoke the mosquitoes out. It was sick. It was so weird, in a biblical kind of plague way.

    We went to Tom's hostel in Dalton instead of the Birdcage and rode bikes to the laundrymat. He took us to the Old Country Buffet. Keychain, Thinker, so many of us I can't remember. On the way into Dalton Holler, Brahma and I found cold drinks. Random trail magic that kinda loses it's punch when you know you're about to take a shower.

    Greylock was a slack for us too. It rained on us. We took shelter at a gas station. There was one other hiker with us but I can't remember who it was...

    Manchester! Are you at the Green Mountain House? I found a pair of shoes in an outfitter in Manchester Center that I didn't buy (not that it would have made a ding in the CC debt we racked up anyway) and I have looked for them everywhere ever since. Shoulda got em. We did the 10 for 10 McDonald's challenge right when we got into this town.

    Ok, I'm done. Back to your thru-hike.

    The trail gets suuuuper exciting from this point. When you get to Maine, settle in. It is mentally as long as Virginia in some parts. But you so got that.

    ReplyDelete