Monday, June 20, 2011

Vernon, NJ

I was somewhat apprehensive about leaving Duncannon. I've been so lucky with falling in to great groups that I feared my luck might run out. It turns out that there was no need to worry. As I rounded the corner to the Quik Mart ,which is right on the trail, I ran into Bum Knee, Mean Gene, and Grandpa. I'm a lucky girl.

I hiked out of town with these guys and I've been hanging with them ever since. The first night we hit Peter's Mt. Shelter and the second I spent at Rausch Gap Shelter. On the third evening, I did my first Marathon Day, 26.4 miles, and a little night hiking to a campsite where Bum Knee and Mean Gene had already started a fire. Some of you may remember that the rocks begin to show up around here, so this was not without its challenges.

Headed into Port Clinton the next day. That descent is still as treacherous as it always was. My new crew and I were reunited with some old friends while in PC. I was very happy to see Darvey again, so we all celebrated with a double zero and spent the second day lounging around the pavillion.

We managed to leave town eventually and did 22.3 miles to Allentown Hiking Club Shelter, after ordering food at the Eckville Shelter that took a millenium to come. The caretaker was about a 6pack in when I asked him if everyone was allowed to drink there. He replied, "I can drink you under the table." I took that as a yes, but we hiked out before we could confirm.

The next day brought us to Palmerton. This was my first visit to this town as I stayed in Slatington 3 years ago. I wish I had visited Palmerton earlier. The people were so friendly. We stayed in the jailhouse hostel which is really just a government building that they let hikers bunk downstairs in. My bud, Bum Knee, had to watch the door while I showered as it was something straight out of the HBO series, OZ. Really a once in a lifetime experience. They give you a free apple at the grocery store. For real. Any apple you choose as long as you're a thru-hiker. That's what I call hospitality. Palmerton wins best PA town for sure and is in the running for top five of the trail.

After doing laundry in the morning, I hiked out with Darvey. We got a ride back to the trail from a guy in a convertable. Climbing out of the gap was really fun. It was a beautiful day and I really enjoyed climbing the rocks. I know that sounds crazy but I really like this spot. The views are fantastic. Sometime after summiting the climb, I ran into Mean Gene and Bum Knee who were picking huckleberries. The first berries of the year. We spent a good 45 minutes picking and eating. That night we stayed at Leroy A. Smith Shelter.

We hiked into Delaware Water Gap the next day and stayed at the Church of the Mountain Hostel. The following day we were all convinced to zero because the weekly church hiker feed was not to be missed, and we're not ones to turn down free food.. I had a great zero in the DWG. I spent most of the day walking around with Mean Gene and Giggle. I found a straw cowboy hat in the clearance bin at the outfitter and I've been sporting it ever since.

We eventually left DWG, but not before I purchased new trail runners. They are bright red and Bum Knee calls them my ruby slippers.  That day we got stormed on and ended up at the Mohican Outdoor Center. Bunks for 31 bucks which is not exactly a deal but its run by the AMC (Appalachian Money Club), and I've never been under the impression that they are too keen on thru-hikers. The don't even have a sign at the gravel road that leads there from the trail. At least we had a dry place to sleep.

20.9 miles to Gren Anderson Shelter the next day but not before stopping at Gyps. Quick shout out to the Bulls, and Thinker (all GAME '08) who Tailgate and I have fond memories of sharing some food and beer there with a few years ago. Gyps hasn't changed much. I sorta had to convince the boys not to start a bar fight though. They get worked up sometimes.

Yesterday we hiked into Unionville where the mayor no longer runs a hostel. We stealth camped behind the clerks office and were all woken up at 2 am when the drunken youth of the town decided to come and play basketball right next to us. Bartless said it was a scene straight outta American History X.

I'm writing this from St. Thomas' Episcopal Church Hostel. Thank goodness for the kindess from the churches of all denominations along the trail. We really are lucky that so many of them reach out and give shelter and so much more to us grubby travelers. Today was hot and not so tree covered. Glad to be here.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you're flying. Those are big miles! I think the biggest day I ever did was 26, but I paid for it. I'm impressed!

    p.s. I looove reading the names of all these shelters I'd forgotten!

    ReplyDelete